Day 1 of the International DJ Expo in Atlantic City was full of panels, networking, parties, meals, interviews and a lot more. Since DJs often follow charts to find the hottest new music - here is my top 10 for Monday.
1. DJ Times editor Jim Tremayne is a master at panels. It's not a shock after his years of experience, but very few other could wrangle together and control the flow of a panel on "Strategies for Financial Success: Tips for DJs in the New Economy" with 12 participants. The input from the variey of people on the panel made it the most educational panel that I have attended in years.
2. Dress like a star and people treat you like a star. Kudos to our female artists who looked incredible last night. Gorgeous and appropriate outfits, beautiful make up and sexy hair was the norm for everyone. Tami Chynn, Jes, Rachel Panay, Kristy K, Kim Sozzi, Sk8, Ali Bertash, Carmen Perez, Drea, Daniella - you made us all proud.
3. TV and movie stars are ready to join the club. Jo de La Rosa from Bravo's Date My Ex and Real Housewives of Orange County is about to release her debut popdance single "U Can't Control Me." Star of television shows The Shield and Everybody Hates Chris, Carmen Perez, is diving into the dance world with "Emergency" out soon on Dauman records. Even adult movie entertainer Savanna Samson is getting ready to make us dance which is the perfect compliment to her Sogno Uno line of fine wines.
4. Did I miss the memo which told all the DJs to wear black tshirts with overprint??
5. A good dose of mashed up classics always works the crowd. Judy Torres stormed the Big Management party with an explosive set of her classics updated. Her insane stage presences combined with her legendary voice really brought the point. Producer/DJ Peter Presta extraordinaire mashed-up classics by the Bucketheads, Iio, and Fat Boy Slim for a very well received club set.
6. Mike Rizzo is back on the block. After taking a break to enjoy family life and a new child, Mike is back managing a record label (NY2London,) remixing (Lindsay Lohan, Usher), and DJing (major performance recently in Chicago.) Watch out for an interview here on the site in the near future.
7. If your first name is Chris - you are a great live performer! Both Christian George and Chris Willis rocked the crowd last night. Even though many in the crowd didn't know Christian's debut single "Strangers," his performance of the Wideboys mix got the party started. The second that Chris Willis opened his mouth with "Just a Little More Love," everyone rushed the stage. It's easy to see why he is such an international superstar.
8. It is possible to have a life after a reality show. DJ Lars Schlichting who got his first taste of fame from MTV Real World London is now an accomplished DJ/DVJ - who creates visuals for the Pioneer DVJ DVD players. He is also an in demand club/party DJ who knows how to work a lounge -as was evidenced by him rocking the Promo Only/Pioneer dinner party.
9. Did you know that Ali G is basically the love child of Armand Van Helden and Roger Sanchez.
10. Quote of the day:
"This is a mobile dj conference.. They are going to go home tomorrow and be like what the heck was that - no one played macarena or gave out inflatable guitars."
-Art Rooney jokingly talking about the fierce DJs at the Big Management Party