1. SATELLITE LOVE - What You Do - Dreamy filtered house. Imagine being in a K-Hole with your arms stretched out and just spinning and spinning and spinning...Absolutely gorgeous!
2. SHAPESHIFTERS - Lola's Theme (Original/Calderone) - Still tying to figure out what track is being sampled in this filtered house gem; sounds like old Micheal Jackson or The Jacksons. Doesn't matter. Still brilliant. Victor Calderone gives it the circuit tribal treatment on his mix. But don't miss the original!
3. RIGHTEOUS - Soul Clappin'/The DJ Plays - DJ Control Top (Dwayne Minard) and Gavo (Gavin Bradley) are back with the follow-up to their smash "Stay Together". Hands-in-the-air filtered house built around a couple of obscure disco samples. Should have dancefloors everywhere going ballistic.
4. CASEY STRATTON - Blood (Junior Vasquez) - There's quite a buzz about this young guy, comparing him to his idols, Sarah McLachlan, Joni Mitchell and Tori Amos. Taken from his debut album "Standing At The Edge" and remixed brilliantly by Junior Vasquez, this track should bring him to the attention of a lot more people.
5. DJ DAN - That Phone Track - Quirky little circuit number full of telephone samples and weird squiggly noises. Sounds annoying but it works. Energy up the wazoo!
6. JASON WALKER - Foolish Mind Games (Hani/Junior Vasquez) - Another Junior Vasquez discovery. From what I understand, Mr Walker had never sung until Junior got him to sing on his track "My Life". Well, he's back with another vocal house gem. Hani, who we haven't heard from in a while, turns in a mix that makes me wonder why. Excellent.
7. ANGIE STONE - I Wanna Thank You (Hex Hector & Mac Quayle) - Ms Stone is one of the best vocalists in the business and she showcases her talents on this new release. Like her previous hits "Life Story" and "Wish I Didn't Miss You", the track is full of soaring diva vocals. Hex Hector and Mac Quayle create the perfect mix to highlight those vocals.
8. CHEYNE COATES - I've Got Your Number (EMC/Rogue Traders/16th Element) - You may remember Ms Coates as the vocalist behind Madison Aveneue's "Don't Call Me Baby". This new number has a kind of Ce Ce Peniston quality. The Rogue Traders and 16th Element mixes take a rocky approach to the track while the EMC mix goes the funky house route. Very catchy.
9. GEORGE MICHAEL - Flawless (Shapeshifters/Sharp Boys) - George Michael's follow-up to the hit "Amazing' is a cover of the 2000 monster by The Ones. Although I still prefed the original, this is a damn fine record. The Shapeshifters mix is a smooth filtered house treatment while the Sharp mix has more energy. Does the business!
10. VERNESSA MITCHELL - Took My Life (Junior Vasquez/Chad Jack) - Junior Vasquez and Vernessa Mitchell is a combination that has been working brilliantly for over nine years now. "Reap (What You Sow)", "This Joy", "Higher" and "Trouble Don't Last Always" have been sending gay dancefloors nuts for eons. Well, they're back with another anthem in the making. "Took My Life" is everything you'd expect and more. Awesome!
Check out Mixes That Matter - June 2004